Our mission is to retain and attract entrepreneurs, innovators, talented employees, mentors, and other investors by providing capital and mentorship to early-stage and growth-stage companies that have a nexus with Tampa Bay or North-Central Florida, while earning an attractive return on investment for members of TiE Tampa Bay Angel Fund.
Knack and Molekule from Tampa and Gainsville
Since 2013, Charter Members of TiE Tampa Bay have been banding together in small groups and actively, but silently, investing sizeable early-stage funds in various startups across Florida (see logo chart for some of the companies funded by TiE Tampa Bay’s Charter Members. Therefore, TiE Tampa Bay Angel Fund is the natural evolution of such early initiatives, and a wider manifestation of appetite for investing in such an asset class. Through TTBAF, a coordinated effort is being made by such investors, to be further strengthened by leveraging TiE’s global network of angel investors. Thus TiE Tampa Bay Angel Fund hopes to create greater value for entrepreneurs in the region with its impact investments.
TiE Tampa Bay Angel Fund LLC., is a fund of funds formed by the coming together of several Charter Members of TiE Tampa Bay. Created in 2017 at arms length from TiE Tampa Bay, TTBAF will invest in early stage startup companies located in Tampa Bay Area, Florida, or within driving distance. Its goal is to support the entrepreneurial endeavors of young enterprising startups in the area and help the best among them with impact investments so that they may generate wealth for the entire region.
At the end of a day-long conference that celebrates entrepreneurship in Florida, the audience was getting ready to enjoy dinner, followed by a Bollywood dance performance. Then something very interesting and unexpected happened. A challenge was thrown to the accredited investors gathered at the conference. The exhilaration of the open challenge to launch a fund …
The process of steering a venture from seed to success involves a lot more than capital infusion. Since our investment process relies on the support of our members along with the networking and mentoring opportunities provided by TiE Tampa Bay, only Charter Members who are accredited investors may become investors through TTBAF, and all applicants are encouraged to keep their membership current with TiE Tampa Bay.
The following are some of TTBAF’s Investment Criteria.
- The fund will consider equity funding or convertible notes for startups in the Seed and Angel rounds up to Series A.
- Positions will consist of $50k – 200k investments
- Geographically, the focus is on startups who were “born” in this region, or plan major operations/expansion/pilot, etc. in the region. Our primary focus is on the Greater Tampa Bay Area and adjacent counties within driving distance for effective mentoring and support of the entrepreneurs by our members, although we will consider startups with such ties statewide, particularly the I-4 corridor and Central Florida cities such as Gainesville, Ocala, etc.
- Philosophically, TTBAF will invest in sectors where our investor or mentor network has demonstrated expertise and can contribute ideas, introductions, and hard-won perspective to portfolio companies. Currently, those sectors include healthcare, mobile, hospitality, and finance. We will update our list as our Investment Committee and Mentor Panel evolves.
- TTBAF will focus on startups with a plausible path to large scale. The fund is not meant to invest in businesses with obvious or relatively low market ceilings or that can only scale/replicate in a linear, capital-intensive fashion.
- Strong preference for ventures with a plan to stabilize from phase to phase. TTBAF will have a strong preference for startups who can draw a line from Series A funding uses to a potentially break-even business. This is meant as a litmus test, not a condition of investment.
All applications will be received and processed through Gust. If you meet the criteria above, please use the button below, or click here to get started.